Housing And Community Development


Protecting one's housing investment is very important. The condition of a house's exterior, roof, windows, doors, insulation, heating, plumbing, electrical, and foundation determine its real value and its life expectancy. A well maintained house extends its economic life and it remains a viable shelter for its occupants. Sometimes maintenance is deferred due to the homeowner's financial situation. For low to moderate income homeowners, it is difficult to find the extra money to replace these major systems. The City's Homeowner Rehabilitation Assistance Program is designed to assist qualifying owners of single family homes with necessary repairs of their home.  Applications are taken for home rehabilitation assistance year-round, and assistance may be available, if you qualify and only as HUD funding is available.    Call to check and see if you qualify for the program and/or if funding is currently available.


It is the policy of the City of Casper not to discriminate against any citizen on the basis of disability. 

The City of Casper does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. Veteran. Inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies may be directed to Human Resources/Zulima Lopez, 200 N. David St., Casper, WY 82601, Tel. 307-235-8212, email zlopez@casperwy.gov.

The Human Resource Office is located in City Hall at 200 North David Street, Suite 107, Casper, WY 82601.  The Section 504 Coordinator may be reached at (307)235-8344. 

Weatherization Assistance

This program is designed to assist the homeowner with necessary weatherization needs.  Making sure your home has good weather stripping around doors and windows, electrical outlet and wall plate inserts is something you can do as the homeowner.  Well fitting, solid doors and energy efficient windows will help keep warm air from escaping or cold air from coming in and can oftentimes make a noticeable difference in your utility bills. Assistance may be available for qualifying owner-occupied homes to replace doors and windows.  These are a few things that can be done to make your home more comfortable. If you are interested in this program, please call to see if there is funding available at this time.

Accessible Homes:

The City believes persons with disabilities must have safe access to their homes.

The two (2) eligible activities considered as accessibility home rehabilitation are installing ramps and/or modifying doorways:

  • The person must use the wheelchair on a full-time, permanent basis
  • Wheelchair use must be verified by a physician
  • There is no other accessible way to enter/exit the housing unit
  • If the doorway will not accommodate the wheelchair, it will be widened to allow for accessibility

Applications are taken on an as needed basis and upon program funding being available.


Community Development Block Grant funds (CDBG) are set aside to assist homeowners with some unexpected repairs, to make their home more energy efficient or to help improve the neighborhood through exterior improvements.


  • Be a low to moderate income homeowner.
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or legal alien.
  • Have less than $25,000 in assets such as savings, certificates of deposit, extra vehicles, recreational vehicles, stocks, bonds, and other real estate.
  • Current on mortgage.
  • Current on real estate taxes.
  • Can provide proof of flood insurance if you live in a 100 year floodplain.
  • Housing unit must be a single family dwelling. No assistance is available for mobile homes or homes that have apartments on the property unless the apartment is occupied by an immediate family member.
  • Homeowner's name must be on the title or deed. 


Anyone interested in any of the above Homeowner Assistance Programs must contact the Housing and Community Development Division Office at 235-8241 and ask for the CDBG office to find out if funds are available and/or to make an appointment.

In addition, as a part of the application process, homeowners must also bring the following documents to their appointment:

  • Payroll stubs for the past two months
  • Copy of Social Security award letter or annual notification of benefits to be received
  • Copy of any pension statements (Note: assets do NOT include IRA's or private pension accounts)
  • Copy of last two months bank statements
  • Copy of most recent Income Tax filed with Internal Revenue Service
  • Mortgage statement
  • Printout of last 12 months statement of child support received
  • Property tax receipt

Homeowner assistance for any of the above listed rehabilitation or repair programs depends on being a qualified homeowner and HUD funding being available.


For 17 years World Changers came to the City of Casper bringing many volunteers to do much needed home repair and rehabilitation work for such things as roofing, painting, fencing, minor construction, landscaping, window and door replacement.  The City of Casper provided the materials for the volunteers.  World Changers shifted their focus to serve larger communities in the summer of 2013 and Casper no longer fit their needs.  In the summer of 2013, the Mission Serve group stepped up providing several volunteers to fulfill the qualifying homeowner’s requests that had already been scheduled.  We have been very fortunate to have had World Changers in the Casper area for those 17 years and are certainly thankful for the Mission Serve group that stepped in to help!  Regular inquiries are made regarding these programs – thank you for your interest.